October 30, 2005

WEAA 88.9 VS Minister Duane Johnson

I was listening that Sunday morning that will probably go down in history for WEAA 88.9 Gospel Grace when Minister Duane Johnson took the airways to denounce the now infamous Gay Pride Week at Pikesville High School. He has since been suspended as the Director/Announcer for Gospel Grace and will be removed on November 7th. I'm not in agreement with this decision and feel it wrong that Minister Johnson will be suspended for his belief in the Word of God (the Holy Bible). However, I do feel that Minister Johnson should have taken more time and preparation to follow station protocol and to minister to the young people at Pikesville High School.

I've read a lot of different blogs commenting on Minister Johnson's actions. As I read through the many blogs and websites I am particularly struck by the level of unkindness and sarcasm that seem to permeate through many of these so-called "Christian" blogs. One thing that is clear to me is that I don't live in a Jesus friendly society, neither did Jesus. Although many claim to be followers of Christ, most really are just "Christians" in name only with no idea of what it is to develop a real relationship with God and accept true salvation through Jesus Christ -not just in words, but in deeds and actions - not just on Sundays, but every minute of the hour and every hour of the day - not just when it feels good, but when it feels uncomfortable, lonely, and confusing - not just for show, but for real.

I prayed before posting this blog because I didn't want my remarks to come across as bitter, sarcastic, or unkind. (Let me say that the issue of kindness is one that is real for me right now as I had someone tell me a few weeks ago that I was "mean and nasty." I had to repent because even though I thought I was the nicest person in the world and had every right to be angry at the person who made the statement that person who was obviously hurt by my comments felt otherwise. This reality whether I want to accept or not means that I was an ineffective light/minister of God in this situation. I've been praying for guidance and resolution from God on just how to be more effective in my walk as a daughter of Christ. But that's a story for another blog, but I use this example to demonstrate what I feel about Minister Johnson's effort on that faithful Sunday.) I do believe that although Minister Johnson meant well his method was ineffective and sloppy.

Another thing I know for sure is that the issue/spirit of Homosexuality is one that can not be faced without proper covering, prayer, and weaponry for warfare. Homosexuality, a stronghold that is deceiving too many of our young and old, is not an issue/spirit to take lightly or to tackle in the heat of the moment without proper planning. We must put on the full armor of God for our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. I'm praying that Minister Johnson and other people of faith become more strategic in ministry efforts against this issue/spirit, particularly when it deals with young people.

In the meantime, I encourage you to email earlsr@morgan.edu and pblakely@moac.morgan.edu to voice your dissent over the firing of Minister Duane Johnson

Suggested Readings:
The Holy Bible
The Isis Papers - Dr. Francis Cress Welsing
God's House Party - Dr. Kenneth Robinson

No comments: