May 20, 2006

Bill Cosby, Michael Eric Dyson, and other ramblings.....






o.k. I started not to write about this, but figured I should blog the experience of seeing Bill Cosby live at the University of the District of Columbia (UDC) on May 16, 2006 .

My co-worker, Krsna, and I arrived to the session about half way through the first forum for caregivers, grandparents, parents, and foster parents. The session was running way over time and there was still a second community session scheduled to take place that same evening. We watched Bill Cosby portray (what I guess was supposed to be a DC caregiver, grandparent, parent or foster parent)ask a panel of resource persons about the type of resources available. Then, Bill Cosby opened the session up for questions. Because the session was running so late, this Q & A period was really cut short. A few people in line seemed extremely upset. One man in a wheelchair yelled out that "This was a water-downed session." Now, what happened after that will forever be in my memory.

Bill Cosby started walking to the edge of the stage trying to answer the guy in the wheel chair. He didn't have a mike so it was really hard to hear him. I thought I heard him say that Michael Eric Dyson was right and then all HELL Broke loose. Bill Cosby screamed Dyson doesn't know what he is talking about. The guy in the wheel chair started screaming. Bill Cosby (imagine this cause he is pretty up there in age) jumped off the stage and climbed over the railing to get to the guy in the wheel chair. There was another man standing in the aisle who said to Bill Cosby, "Brother this is not the place" as he touched him on the chest. I couldn't hear what Bill Cosby said to him, but it must have been something like "Who are you?" because the man responded in an agitated tone like "Well, who are you?" Bill Cosby bypasses this man to get to the man in the wheelchair and he is screaming at him. As a matter of fact, he told the man that they could take it outside which means he was willing or at least seemed to be willing to fight or get physical about the topic. By this time, the police and security are coming into the auditorium and Cosby gets back on stage trying to justify his actions.

I was in awe. I just sat there and I tried to walk up and get a picture with my camera phone, but of course it didn't come out. Anyway, my mind was just like "What just happened?" I guess what struck me was the reaction of the young people in the audience. I think they were just as surprised as me by Bill Cosby's reaction. I was so disgusted that I left before the second forum even started. That evening on the way home, I stopped at the bookstore in Union Station searching for something on Micheal Eric Dyson. I needed to know why Bill Cosby reacted that way to the hearing of his name.....and I found it. The book is called "Is Bill Cosby Right Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Their Mind? I was so thankful I had the money to purchase the book.

(Brother Jabaree I will be sure to make a book purchase from your store before the end of the month - we got to support our black businesses - o.k. digressed for a moment where was I?)

Oh yeah, so I purchased a copy of Dyson's book and began reading it. I read that book in three days. Amazing! I understood why Bill Cosby would be angry about Dyson's book, but felt his response was inappropriate. Dyson makes some raw, personal, and straight-forward comments in his book. Overall, I think he did a great job rebutting Cosby's stance. I think Bill Cosby could have done a better job rebutting Dyson's stance. I could not understand how Cosby could justify his actions and at the same time talk about the actions or lack of action by low-income Blacks. That incident in itself gave credit to what Dyson was saying in his book.

I would encourage you all to read Michael Eric Dyson's book and if you get a chance, sit in on one of Cosby's free lectures. He is currently making stops in cities across the nation. He just may be in your town next week challenging somebody in a wheelchair to fight.

Get the book!

No comments: